Monday, October 28, 2013

The Boy Who Belonged

Yes, it's a cover, courtesy of Fiona Jayde, who also did the cover for The Good Boy. 




December 17, you guys! Mark your calendars! (Mine's still on June, but you might be more organised than I am.) 

I always like getting covers. They're like Christmas presents. They're like that odd sense of anticipation you got as a kid, when you knew what you wanted but you were afraid to get your hopes up in case it was underwear again. But then it turned out it was a bike, just like you asked for! 

And no, I'm not just making that analogy because The Boy Who Belonged is a Christmas story. 

Okay, fine, I am. You got me. 

Also, it's starting to feel a lot like Christmas, right? I say that as an Australian, since we don't celebrate Halloween much, and don't have a Thanksgiving at all, so there are no pesky holidays I need to get out of the way first. No, Christmas is the next cab off the rank for me.

And as much as I dislike the fact that the Christmas displays are already in the shops, it really is starting to feel like that time of the year. By which I mean, of course, the following: 

1. It's getting hot. 
2. The mangoes are almost ripe. 
3. The rain has come. 

I've heard about these white Christmases though. One of these days I'm going to get me one of those. 

Oh, and I should add, if you can stand any more of my rambling, you should visit A.B. Gayle's blog, where I'm doing a lot more of it! 

4 comments:

J.A. Rock said...

You need more holidays. I'm going to introduce you to Thanksgiving, the holiday where you just eat. It's the greatest.

And what a fun interview! It kept me entertained for a few minutes while I lay consumed by an illness that, if I'm being honest, started shortly after I came down the mountain in those 70 k winds. Which I still don't know in mph.

Lisa said...

I think we touched on this in Mark Cooper. The Europeans who settled here didn't have much to be thankful for given it was a penal colony. But after a few years I'm sure they realised that being condemned to a life in a country with beaches and surf and sunshine wasn't too bad...

I'm so glad you survived the mountain.

J.A. Rock said...

Surfing is no substitute for eating.

Surviving the mountain felt glorious at the time. But it seems to have given me a gross throat infection that I tried to deny until I got in front of a mirror yesterday and actually looked at the back of my throat. Disgusting. Now I'm trying to figure out if there's some way I can cure it without going to a doctor. Ice cream?

Plus now there's a fever. I don't know how to pass the next howeverthefuckmany hours until it's time to go to bed again. Is alcohol an ok solution? I mean, maybe it would kill the bacteria in my throat and render me unconscious at the same time. That sounds like science, right?

Lisa said...

A combination of ice cream and alcohol cures everything...